Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chore Chart & Cards...

I figured it's never too early to start the girls doing chores right?! But my issue was how was I going to make them understand what they had to do. Well, I got this great idea from one of the moms in the playgroup...chore cards!!

I hand drew pictures for the girls to understand what their responsibilities were along with the words explaining what they were. In the top right I put one of two things: a heart or a money sign. The heart represents a chore they do to help themselves or help someone else (Sadie in our case, by feeding her). In other words, something that needs to be done to be an asset to our family and that they will not get financially compensated for. The money sign on the other hand, represents something they can get financially compensated for (Kaila is thrilled about this).
Here is how we keep track of their paid chores, so at the end of the week they have a pay day. I haven't decided yet how much they will get paid...I'm thinking either 3, 6, or 9 cents a chore. My reasoning for making it a multiple of 3 is because we will be teaching them to split their money evenly into three categories: saving, spending, and giving.
I am so happy this idea was shared with me and that's why I wanted to share it with everyone else. It is working really well for Kaila, and Kenna is starting to get the hang of it. In the morning as soon as we come down the stairs, I give Kaila her chore card packet and she immediately starts doing everything on her own!! It's amazing!

Here's proof that it works. I showed them the card that said they were to dust, gave them the dusters, and they were off! Except Kenna took a break to smile for the camera...lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment